Info for Applicants
Application Deadline: Friday, March 1, 2024, 4:00pm EST
Program Dates: July 21-August 4, 2024
The Sō Percussion Summer Institute (SōSI) brings together ambitious composers and performers to learn and perform in a hands-on environment with the world-renowned ensemble Sō Percussion and their collaborators.
15TH Anniversary Celebration!
We can't believe SōSI has been going strong for 15 years! The more than 350 alumni of SōSI have contributed so much to the percussive world since we started in 2009. For SōSI 2024, we are going to continue looking ahead to the future of new ideas in percussion music, as well as bringing back music written during past festivals. We will also be celebrating 10 years of the composition program by featuring the percussion music of our Director of Composition Andrea Mazzariello.
This unique two-week program allows participants to experience Sō Percussion’s processes for creating and premiering new work firsthand. SōSI features mentorship from the members of Sō Percussion, our composition faculty, a diverse array of guest artists, our artist-in-residence, Princeton faculty, and other special guests.
As in past years, percussion students at SōSI will be placed in groups to perform in numerous concerts and masterclasses throughout the two weeks. Composition students will study with Andrea Mazzariello as well as with members of Sō Percussion and guest faculty. Both undergraduate and graduate composers are welcome to apply. Composition parameters and guidelines are available through the application portal.
2024 Application Instructions
Deadline for Online Submission is March 1, 2024 for all materials.
SōSI - Tuition/Room and Board for SōSI 2024: $2800
Tuition breakdown and offerings available in program descriptions and FAQs
A $200 deposit (included in total tuition cost) will be due by May 1, 2024.
The following materials will be required for all applicants in SōSI: (all materials must be submitted through the application portal. You may save your progress while working.)
- Completed 2024 Application Form (online)
- Statement of Intent (1:00 minute video introducing yourself and stating why you would like to attend the Sō Percussion Summer Institute.)
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from a current or former teacher. (uploaded as PDF)
- Current Resume (optional – uploaded as a PDF)
* Students must be at least 18 years old in order to be eligible to attend the Summer Institute.
Requirements for Instrumentalists
- List of chamber works performed and works you would like to perform
- Audition recordings (uploaded or linked through the application)
- Recording Requirements for Instrumentalists: 10-20 minutes of solo and/or chamber audio/video recordings that best demonstrate your abilities and interests as a player.
Requirements for Composers
- Audio recordings and/or PDFs of scores (if applicable) for two—three recent works
- A list of works written and/or a statement about your compositional process
- Graduate and Undergraduate composers will be considered for the program.
- Please read the Composition Guidelines before starting your application.
- Composers are only eligible to attend SōSI two times total. Composers who have attended once may reapply. Composers who have already attended twice are no longer eligible and should not re-apply.
Scholarships are available for the Sō Percussion Summer Institute through application via the application portal. Scholarships range from $250–$1,400.
Sō Percussion offers 3 types of scholarships. You may apply for any and all scholarship opportunities that you are eligible for.
- General Scholarship
- BIPOC Scholarship
- Composition Assistant Scholarship
General Scholarship Details and Eligibility Requirements:
Tuition assistance is offered for all new students who apply.
The purpose of these scholarships is to provide financial support for the selected students to participate, learn, and perform in the 15th annual Sō Percussion Summer Institute 2022 held at Princeton University.
All students are eligible for general scholarships, and those who would like to be considered for general scholarship support must apply in the scholarship application portal.
BIPOC Scholarship Details and Eligibility Requirements:
The purpose of these scholarships is to:
- assist promising and deserving students of color, and
- provide financial support for the selected students to participate, learn, and perform in the 15th annual Sō Percussion Summer Institute 2024.
In order to be eligible for the BIPOC scholarship fund, applicants must identify as BIPOC on the scholarship application form.
Composition Assistant Scholarship Details and Eligibility Requirements:
The purpose of these scholarships is to:
- Assist composition program director and faculty.
- provide financial support for the selected students to participate, learn, and perform in the 15th annual Sō Percussion Summer Institute 2024 held at Princeton University.
- Composition Applicants will be asked to assist Composition Director, Andrea Mazzariello and Sō Percussion Summer Institute Team prior to the festival and during the festival.
Eligibility for the composition assistant scholarship fund is determined by your application submission through the “composition” track. If interested, please answer the questions in the application that refer to this scholarship fund.