Info for Applicants
Application Deadline: Saturday, February 1, 2020
Program Dates: July 12-26, 2020
The Sō Percussion Summer Institute (SōSI) brings ambitious college-aged percussionists and composers together on the campus of Princeton University to learn and perform in a hands-on environment with one of the world’s foremost chamber ensembles and the composers with whom they collaborate. This unique two-week program will allow participants to experience first-hand the inner-workings of the commissioning, workshop, rehearsal, and performance cycle. Interaction between performers and composers is the core of the program, with a special emphasis on the composers from the Princeton University Music Department. Students are afforded many opportunities to perform and interact with a variety of composers and performers. In order to get the most out of the program, students should be highly engaged and prepared well in advance. As in past years, percussion students at SōSI will be placed in groups to perform in numerous concerts and masterclasses throughout the two weeks.
We will continue the student composer program, joined once again by composition director Andrea Mazzariello, in a new format that involves even more collaboration and co-creation between student composers and their colleagues in the performance program. The composition program is built around making two new percussion ensemble works, one for portable instruments, composed before the institute begins and performed in the first week, and another that we’ll develop, rehearse, and revise throughout the festival. Both pieces will be performed by students in the percussion program, with regular coaching by the members of Sō Percussion. Composition students will have lessons with Andrea Mazzariello, as well as with members of Sō Percussion and with guest faculty. Both undergraduate and graduate composers are welcome to apply. Composition Parameters and guidelines are available through the application portal.
Applicants should apply in only one category, however those with an interest in both performing and composing should communicate with us directly about opportunities for exploring both during the Summer Institute.
Highlights This Year
Highlights of SōSI 2020
- This year, SōSI is delighted to welcome back Sarah Kirkland Snider to the Composition Faculty!
- Premieres of new pieces from Princeton University PhD composers.
- Masterclasses, lessons, and coachings with renowned composers and performers.
- Performances around community businesses in Princeton, NY and Princeton University.
- More exciting details to be confirmed soon!
2020 Application Instructions
Deadline for Online Submission is Feb 1, 2020 for all materials.
The following materials will be required for all applicants:
- Completed 2020 Application Form (online)
- Non-refundable $45 application fee (paid by credit card)
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from a current or former teacher (uploaded as a PDF)
- Current Resume (optional – uploaded as a PDF)
* Students must be at least 18 years old in order to be eligible to attend the Summer Institute.
Requirements for Percussionists
- List of chamber works performed and works you would like to perform
- Audition recordings (uploaded or linked through the application)
- Recording Requirements for Percussionists: 10-20 minutes of solo audio or video recordings that best demonstrate your abilities and interests as a player.
Requirements for Composers
- Audio recordings and/or PDFs of scores (if applicable) for three recent works
- A list of works written and/or a statement about your compositional process
- Graduate and Undergraduate composers will be considered for the program.
- Please read the Composition Guidelines before starting your application.
- Composers are only eligible to attend SōSI two times total. Composers who have attended once may reapply. Composers who have already attended twice are no longer eligible and should not re-apply.
Tuition, Room and Board
Tentative Tuition/Room and Board for SōSI 2020: $2600
Price as listed covers tuition as well as all housing and lunch/dinner from check-in July 12th to check-out July 26th (non-refundable, due in full by May 1st). Students should bring money for breakfast. All rooms include air conditioning. Rooming off campus is possible in some cases; all students are required to participate in the meal plan. Contact Shelby Blezinger-McCay for more information.
Tuition for Off-Campus Students providing own housing - $1,850
Scholarships are available for the Sō Percussion Summer Institute through application via the application portal. Scholarships range from $125 - $1,000.