Info for Applicants
Application Deadline: Monday, March 29, 2021
Program Dates: July 11-25, 2021
The Sō Percussion Summer Institute is open to all instrumentalists from any practice! Once registered please apply in the instrumentalist category.
The Sō Percussion Summer Institute (SōSI) brings ambitious college-aged composers, percussionists and other instrumentalists together online to learn and perform in a hands-on environment with one of the world’s foremost chamber ensembles and composers with whom they collaborate. This unique two-week program allows participants to experience the inner-workings of the commissioning, workshop, rehearsal, and performance cycle first-hand. SōSI prioritizes collaboration between performers and composers, and features/highlights mentorship from Princeton’s composition faculty, Sō Percussion, and guest faculty/special guests. To ensure fruitful/productive collaboration, students are expected to be highly engaged and prepared well in advance of the program.
Joined once again by composition director Andrea Mazzariello,we will present the student composer program in a new format that deepens collaboration and co-creation between student composers and their colleagues in the performance program. Composers will create two new percussion ensemble works: one for portable instruments, composed prior to the institute and performed in the first week, and another that we will develop, rehearse, and revise throughout the festival. Both pieces will be performed by students in the percussion program, with regular coaching by the members of Sō Percussion. As in past years, percussion students at SōSI will be placed in groups to perform in numerous concerts and masterclasses throughout the two weeks. Composition students will study with Andrea Mazzariello as well as with members of Sō Percussion & guest faculty. Both undergraduate and graduate composers are welcome to apply. Composition parameters and guidelines are available through the application portal.
Highlights This Year
Highlights of SōSI 2021
- SōSI is delighted to welcome back Sarah Kirkland Snider to the Composition Faculty!
- Premieres of new pieces from Princeton University PhD composers.
- Masterclasses, lessons, and coachings with renowned composers and performers.
- Performances at community businesses in Princeton, NJ and Princeton University.
- More exciting details to be confirmed soon!
2021 Application Instructions
Deadline for Online Submission is Mar 29, 2021 for all materials.
The following materials will be required for all applicants:
- Completed 2021 Application Form (online)
- Current Resume (optional – uploaded as a PDF)
* Students must be at least 18 years old in order to be eligible to attend the Summer Institute.
Requirements for Instrumentalists
- List of chamber works performed and works you would like to perform
- Audition recordings (uploaded or linked through the application)
- Recording Requirements for Instrumentalists: 10-20 minutes of solo and/or chamber audio/video recordings that best demonstrate your abilities and interests as a player.
Requirements for Composers
- Audio recordings and/or PDFs of scores (if applicable) for two—three recent works
- A list of works written and/or a statement about your compositional process
- Graduate and Undergraduate composers will be considered for the program.
- Please read the Composition Guidelines before starting your application.
- Composers are only eligible to attend SōSI two times total. Composers who have attended once may reapply. Composers who have already attended twice are no longer eligible and should not re-apply.
Tuition for SōSI 2021: $1200
A $200 deposit (included in total tuition cost) will be due by May 1, 2021.
Scholarships are available for the Sō Percussion Summer Institute through application via the application portal. Scholarships range from $250–$1,000.
Sō Percussion is pleased to announce a special scholarship fund for students who identify as black, indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) towards participation at the Sō Percussion Summer Institute (SōSI).
— and —
A composition assistant scholarship fund.
The purpose of these scholarships is to:
- assist promising and deserving students of color, and
- provide financial support for the selected students to participate, learn, and perform in the 12th annual Sō Percussion Summer Institute 2021.
In order to be eligible for the BIPOC scholarship fund, applicants must identity as BIPOC on the scholarship application form.
Eligibility for the composition assistant scholarship fund is determined by your application submission through the “composition” track. If interested, please answer the questions in the application that refer to this scholarship fund.
Please note that we offer separate tuition assistance for new students. Please complete a scholarship application in the scholarship application portal to be considered for general scholarship funding.
On campus summer programs at Princeton University have officially been shut down and the 2021 Sō Percussion Summer Institute will be held online. Tuition has been reduced consummate to program changes.