Info for Applicants
Application Deadline: Friday, February 1, 2019
Program Dates: July 14–28, 2019
The Sō Percussion Summer Institute (SōSI) brings ambitious college-aged percussionists and composers together on the campus of Princeton University to learn and perform in a hands-on environment with one of the world’s foremost chamber ensembles and the composers with whom they collaborate. This unique two-week program will allow the participants to experience first-hand the inner-workings of the commissioning, workshop, rehearsal, and performance cycle. Interaction between performers and composers is the core of the program, with a special emphasis on the composers from the Princeton University Music Department. Students are afforded many opportunities to perform and interact with a variety of composers and performers. In order to get the most out of the program, students should be highly engaged and prepared well in advance.
We will continue the student composer program, joined once again by composition director Andrea Mazzariello. Undergraduate and graduate composers are welcome to apply. As in past years, percussion students at SōSI will be placed in groups to perform in the numerous concerts and masterclasses throughout the two weeks. Composition students will have lessons with Andrea Mazzariello and members of Sō Percussion as well as guest faculty, and they will engage in the rehearsal process and will each compose a piece that will have a reading by the members of Sō Percussion. Applicants should apply in only one category, however those with an interest in both performing and composing should communicate with us directly about opportunities for exploring both during the Summer Institute.
A number of partial scholarships ($125-1000) will be available this year. The scholarship application will be available after applicants have been accepted into the program and will be sent directly to accepted students.
Highlights This Year
Highlights of SōSI 2019
- This year, SōSI is delighted to welcome Sarah Kirkland Snider to the Composition Faculty!
- Premieres of new pieces from Princeton University PhD composers.
- Masterclasses, lessons, and coachings with renowned composers and performers.
- Performances around Princeton.
- Open readings by Sō Percussion of student composers’ pieces.
- More exciting details to be confirmed soon!
2019 Application Instructions
Deadline for Online Submission is Feb 1, 2019 for all materials.
The following materials will be required for all applicants:
- Completed 2019 Application Form (online)
- Non-refundable $45 application fee (paid by credit card)
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from a current or former teacher (uploaded as a PDF)
- Current Resume (optional – uploaded as a PDF)
* Students must be at least 18 years old in order to be eligible to attend the Summer Institute.
Requirements for Percussionists
- List of chamber works performed and works you would like to perform
- Audition recordings (uploaded or linked through the application)
- Recording Requirements for Percussionists: 10-20 minutes of solo audio or video recordings that best demonstrate your abilities and interests as a player.
Requirements for Composers
- Audio recordings and/or PDFs of scores (if applicable) for three recent works
- A list of works written and/or a statement about your compositional process
- Graduate and Undergraduate composers will be considered for the program.
- Composers are only eligible to attend SōSI two times total. Composers who have attended once may reapply. Composers who have already attended twice are no longer eligible and should not re-apply.
Tuition, Room and Board
Tentative Tuition/Room and Board for SōSI 2019: $2400
Price as listed covers tuition as well as all housing and dinners from check-in July 145th to check-out July 28th (non-refundable, due in full by May 1st). Students should bring money for breakfast and lunch. All rooms include air conditioning. Rooming off campus is possible in some cases; all students are required to participate in the meal plan. Contact Yumi Tamashiro for more information.
Direct any application questions to Yumi Tamashiro: .